Tuesday 6 December 2022

The Loneliest Time of Year

The Wedding Present are concluding 24 Songs, their 30th anniversary "twelve singles in a year" effort, with a suitably maudlin festive tune. To quote from an interview Gedge has just given Uncut magazine:

"Ah, the old 'Christmas song'," writes bandleader David Gedge. "To be honest, I've kind of been one of those 'bah, humbug' types ever since I realised that the only thing we're really celebrating on 25th December is capitalism! 'Thanks for the list of stuff you want me to buy for you, here's a list of stuff I want you to buy for me.' There’s nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but, for me, one of the most appealing things about the festive season is the way pop songs always seem more poignant when they're also Christmas songs. It's all about heightened expectation and disappointment, perhaps.

"I've had a go myself a couple of times over the years, of course, and it seemed fitting to have another crack at it for the grand finale of '24 Songs'. Hence, 'The Loneliest Time Of Year' has a huge, melancholy chorus, sleigh bells, and an appropriately surreal video.

You won't hear this on Bland FM but I think it's rather lovely. If you agree, well, The Loneliest Time Of Year will be released on Friday December 16th. You can bag the 7" – either individually or as part of the complete box set of all twelve 24 Songs singles – right here. Why not give in to that pesky capitalism and treat yourself to an early Christmas present...?

2 comments: