Friday 10 June 2022

Trending when dead

SPM once wore a badge that declared him to be "Famous when dead". However, these days of course you just trend. It's a very 21st Century thing, isn't it, to check that someone is still alive when you see them unexpectedly trending. I noted, for example, that Sheila Hancock was briefly trending this afternoon, and was relieved to discover it's just because apparently some people were surprised to learn she is 89, rather than because she has shuffled off this mortal coil. Ridiculous really - I mean, I've linked to the report for completeness but honestly, don't bother clicking, it's such a desperate non-story.

By contrast, I then noticed that Julee Cruise was also trending ... and that is because she's died, at just 65. I'll be honest, I was only ever familiar with her work through her collaborations with David Lynch, on Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet - from the former, this is probably her most famous song, Falling:

And that's alright, I suppose. But does it make me a heathen or just a creature of habit for preferring the Wedding Present cover?

I hope never to trend, alive or dead. Just as well, as there is zero chance.

2 comments:

  1. I only know her first two albums, but haven't listened to them for some years so just dug out old favourite Rocking Back Inside My Heart for a spin - and what a lovely/slightly disturbing song it is. Rest easy Julee.

    ReplyDelete