Monday 12 July 2021

Monday long song(s): The Doors

I've been on a bit of a Doors jag lately. It started with seeing a few #NowPlaying tweets from a virtual friend, which led me to rewatching the Oliver Stone biopic from 1991, starring Val Kilmer. Like many a Stone film, it's prone to a bit of mythologising but, like many a Stone film, it's also very watchable.

Anyway, I've had lots of Doors music ear-worming around my head ever since. I've also been recalling the double-CD Very Best of The Doors that I played to death in my early twenties. I maintain that there is still no better soundtrack to a late-night solo car journey, especially when you are in your early twenties. I've also been musing on what has made the music endure: is it the out-there Lizard King shaman Morrison, or the musicianship of his bandmates? Or their serendipitous symbiosis?

But I digress. They did plenty of terrific short songs, of course, but weren't shy of letting the tape run on a bit too. Here's a five-track playlist of long songs for your Monday that clocks in at a whole side of C90. Enjoy.

And as a little bonus, here's a scene from the aforementioned film in which Morrison discovers that Andy Warhol is, in fact, George McFly.

2 comments:

  1. Have never watched the biopic so must put that right. Val was good-looking back then, but still not as good-looking as Jim in his prime (which caused him such a problem). George McFly, of course - The voice is just the same in both roles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there's a Val Kilmer documentary out now too...

      Delete