Wednesday 22 April 2020

Tosh I've learned today - III

Flag of East Anglia
Despite being closely associated with the nebulous and variously-defined region known as East Anglia for most of my life (and all of my adult life, one way or another), I didn't know until today that it had a flag. And here it is.

Wikipedia tells us that East Anglia is generally considered to be Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, and that the shield of three golden crowns, placed two above one, on a blue background has been used as its symbol for centuries, dating back to the Wuffingas dynasty that ruled the area in Anglo-Saxon times. The flag as shown here, with the shield superimposed on the cross of St George, was adopted much more recently though, in 1902, by the London Society of East Anglians (itself only established in 1896).

Fascinating, yes? Well, no... especially when you consider that in all my years of coming to East Anglia, holidaying, studying, visiting, living, working, in all that time I've never seen the flag in use anywhere, ever. The three crowns on a blue shield, yes, sure. But the whole flag...? Never. Maybe I've been walking around with my eyes closed the whole time...

Here's an appropriate, and brilliant, song.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I never knew that, so thanks for the education about my own current part of the world too!
    Great song, something very uplifting about it.














    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, isn't it? The parent album, Do You Like Rock Music?, is outstanding.

      Delete
    2. I must check it out, thank you. Sorry about that long space at the end of my comment, btw - don't know what happened there, a nervous twitch on the return key perhaps.

      Delete
    3. Or social distancing...!

      Delete
    4. Social media distancing, perhaps? :)

      Delete