Monday 25 November 2019

Down in the tube station at midday

I do love a bit of serendipity. Here's a case in point. I had cause to go to east London at the weekend, and found myself alighting the tube at Leytonstone station. And there, to my surprise, was a whole series of beautiful mosaics celebrating the life and films of Alfred Hitchcock.

I quickly surmised (and Wikipedia confirmed) that Leytonstone was Hitchcock's birth place. These mosaics were commissioned in 1999 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Hitch's birth, and they're fantastic! I didn't photograph them all (tricky amidst the commuter hustle) but here are my favourites:


This is Cary Grant in Suspicion, here bringing his young wife a drink that she suspects to be poisoned. I love how the colour and pose suggest that threat and uncertainty...
 

Hitch directing Janet Leigh in perhaps his most famous film, Pscyho. Note how Hitchcock is depicted in red, to me foreshadowing the cinematic blood he is about to spill. Leigh is brilliantly rendered here too, but best of all is how the shower curtain divides Norman's face, symbolising his mother/son duality. At least that's how I read it...
 

Artistically my favourite mosaic, though it depicts a film I've never seen and know little about, The Skin Game. But what a striking image...
 

Want to know more about these, before you trek off to Leytonstone Gallery Tube? London Walking Tours have this excellent guide.

8 comments:

  1. All good, but I love the Psycho one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all kinds of clever going on there.

      Delete
  2. These are magnificent! Who'd have thought it, at Leytonstone tube station... life is full of surprises. Thanks for showing us. The Psycho one is my favourite too, for all the elements you mention, plus a fabulously shiny-looking showerhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Norman had good reason to keep the bathrooms spotless at the Bates Motel...

      Delete
  3. Excellent
    On a par with the Billy Connelly murals on Glasgow gable ends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes note for future reference...

      Delete
    2. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1vLql60xcR4g88zfzPywDxX/billy-connolly-murals-in-glasgow-the-city-s-birthday-gift-to-the-big-yin-at-75

      Delete
    3. Oh yes! I saw these on TV, aren't these brilliant? They are on a much, much larger scale than the Hitch mosaics too.

      Delete