Tuesday 26 February 2019

Living in another world

Very sad indeed to hear, late last night, of Mark Hollis's passing. Talk Talk were a massive part of my musical world and of the development of my appreciation of music during the 1980s.

I was going to post a series of songs from Mark's career to show how rapidly his songcraft developed, with an exemplar from each album. But Ed over at 17 Seconds has already done that. And I was going to close with Mark's great two notes/one note quote, but Swiss Adam over at Bagging Area has already done that too.

I'll just post my favourite Talk Talk song instead. Most people today will probably go with Life's What You Make It but, for me, this just edges it. R.I.P. Mark.

BBC obit

4 comments:

  1. Yes such sad news. A great choice of song. I only came to truly appreciate Talk Talk rather late on, and then found myself perhaps mostly attracted to Mark's personality and principles. Seemed like a lovely and hugely talented man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Principled indeed. Gave up touring because it didn't fit with being a dad.

      Delete
  2. The Man of Cheese6 March 2019 at 22:17

    Bloody hell,catching up with blog but had missed that crap news. I remember borrowing The Party's Over from Mike P. on LP circa 1986 whilst in 6th form. It was one of those very rare albums of which I loved every song. I still have tracks from it on my self made compilations over 3 decades later. Hard to choose from crackers such as Talk Talk,Mirror Man,Its so Serious etc but I'd plump for Another Word if pushed. Another part of childhood gone-I'm absolutely gutted. Great man and great band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A damn fine album, that. Very sad news. Inevitable though it may be that the touchstones of our youth will perish, it's still hard to swallow.

      Delete