Thursday 24 January 2019

Nineteen in '19: No Country For Old Men

I've read far less in recent years than I would like. To help remedy this, I've set myself the modest target of reading nineteen books in 2019. When I finish one, a thumbnail review here will follow.

3/19: No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

The blurb: Llewelyn Moss, hunting antelope near the Rio Grande, stumbles upon a transaction gone horribly wrong. Finding bullet-ridden bodies, several kilos of heroin, and a caseload of cash, he faces a choice - leave the scene as he found it, or cut the money and run. Choosing the latter, he knows, will change everything. And so begins a terrifying chain of events, in which each participant seems determined to answer the question that one asks another: how does a man decide in what order to abandon his life?

The review: I've been wanting to read this for a long time; not only do I love the Coen brothers' film adaptation of same, I have also studied excerpts from this book on various creative writing courses. Add to this the fact that the only other novel by McCarthy that I've read, The Road, is cemented in my notional "top ten books of all time" list, and you can see why I was keen to read No Country. And I'm pleased to say I was not disappointed. I guess you are either a fan of McCarthy's pared-down, direct prose or you're not, but either way it's perfectly suited to this modern (-ish - it's set in 1980) Western. Ostensibly about a drugs transaction gone horribly wrong, with psychopathic gun-for-hire Anton Chigurh wearing the black hat to Vietnam-vet everyman Llewelyn Moss's white, No Country cracks along at a riveting pace, as good a crime or chase thriller as you could ask for. The subtext, about the change in America, in people, in morals, moves along at a slightly slower but equally rewarding speed, mostly told through italicised flashbacks and reminiscences from the real white hat, Sheriff Bell. Yes, there's a sheriff - I told you this was a Western. If, like me, you've already watched the film you'll find some scenes on screen are so close to the source material, and McCarthy's prose so bare, that it's almost like reading a screenplay - I'm thinking of Chigurgh's coin toss challenge in the petrol station, and Moss's border crossing back into America. As I've said, this might not be for you, you may prefer more florid text. But for me, this is fantastic, an object lesson in how to write. Similarly, you might find McCarthy's habit of not quote-marking speech to be annoying or confusing; again, not me - I like it, and find it concentrates the mind on the scene. Indeed, I did the same thing in my novel, mostly for storytelling reasons but partly in homage. And as is often the case, there's more to the book, story-wise, than the film adaptation, but I'll let you find that out for yourselves. You can revel in McCarthy's ear for dialogue too.

The bottom line: compelling chase novel, late-20th Century Western and elegy for a way of life, No Country for Old Men is all three, beautifully written in McCarthy's trademark sparse prose. Oh, to write like this!

Since everything online is rated these days: ★★★★★★

Bonus treat for you all... those scenes I mentioned

8 comments:

  1. All the Pretty Horses was the last Cormac McCarthy novel I read. I really enjoyed it and keep meaning to read more of his books. Thanks for the review. I'll add No Country For Old Men to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A terrific novel for sure, but what do you make of the mobile phone on page 179? It's hard to imagine McCarthy (or his editor) would let a mistake like that get through to publication, but then again I can't think of a reason why he would use such an anachronism on purpose.

    I look forward to seeing what you review next. Do you have a list lined up or are you looking for recommendations? I'm currently reading All the President's Men by Bernstein and Woodward. A real page-turner, and it feels particularly relevant at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a "hang on a minute" moment with that too. I concluded that it was possible, if unlikely. Apparently the first mobile phone call was made in 1973, it turns out, so possible in 1980. But plausible, really? Not so sure.

      Currently reading a collection of Raymond Carver short stories but am happy to take recommendations - All the President's Men fits the bill.

      Delete
  3. This is a good challenge, 19 in 2019. In 2015, the year before I took up blogging I set myself the challenge of reading a book set in each State of the USA. For Tennessee, the choice was Cormac McCarthy's The Orchard Keeper which I now realise was his first published novel. A tough read but it certainly did evoke the Tennessee of old. I didn't manage to finish the challenge and only got half way but it did introduce me to some new authors.

    Talking of which, I have just finished Drawn To The Deep End, and really enjoyed it, although I was a bit traumatised by the end! Won't give too much away in case anyone else hasn't read it but your structure was perfect for a life such as Peter's. Glad you added that bit at the end about it not being autobiographical, as I was a tad worried. You do seem to have a fair bit of knowledge about care homes, and mothers with dementia however, which is what I am navigating at the moment so tough to read. You, Rol and so many others around here are excellent writers - Well done on getting it out there. If I can ever work out how to set up a persona for myself on Amazon I will leave a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great reading challenge - too late to blog about it?

      Thanks for the kind words about DTTDE. Glad the ending was traumatic - hope that makes it memorable! And am happy to repeat it's not autobiographical. I have no direct experience of care homes or relatives with dementia, so whilst I'm glad to make this plausible I'm sorry to hear of your experience - it must be so very hard.

      If you can't review on Amazon, I'd welcome a review on your blog, that I could quote from and share..?

      Delete
  4. It kind of got changed to a musical challenge (which is on hiatus at the moment).

    https://jukeboxtimemachine.com/2017/04/04/simon-garfunkel-oaul-simon-and-ive-come-to-look-for-america/

    Yep, I'll put together something soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Great post, ending with a great bit of S&G!

      Delete