Tuesday 13 August 2024

Southpaw

Disclaimer: this post was written in December 2023, and scheduled for future posting. Its contents may no longer be accurate or appropriate.

Yes, more Gene, following on from last week's post. No apologies from me, I loved them then and love them still.

Right, disclaimer done. So, would you believe it, today is International Left-Handers Day. No, me neither, but apparently it was started by American Dean R. Campbell in 1976. More interestingly, and beating Campbell by some eight years, Anything Left-Handed is one of the oldest left-handed stores in the world, founded in London in 1968. They have even run a Left-Handers Club since 1990, which may be of interest to the southpaws among you.

"It's hard to be left-handed," sang Gene in the mid-90s. They clearly hadn't joined the club ... or perhaps it was just a metaphor, eh? Regardless, I need no excuse to post this excellent live performance from them on Mark Radcliffe's much-missed show The White Room. Guitarist Steve Mason in particular gives it the beans here. For all the disproportionately high number of lefties in my life...

What a band.Tip the author

4 comments:

  1. We only realised the other day that a spatula we've been using for decades is a left-handed one. Who knew there were options on such items?! I believe it's good exercise for the brain to try and do things with your non-dominant side from time to time, so at least I've got something to practise with!
    Nice performance there and I agree with you about The White Room. Feel glad to have been able to enjoy so many good music programmes at just the right time in my life - remember Rock Goes To College, The Oxford Road Show, Raw Power too... ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A left-handed spatula? I didn't know such things were not bi-directional. Every day's a schoolday, right? Also, haven't thought about The Oxford Road Show in years.

      Delete
    2. It's all about the direction in which you mix, spread, fold, etc. (talking about the spatula...) but yes, a revelation!
      And I just realised I wrote Raw Power, when I meant Raw Soup of course. The Oxford Road Show was pretty good if I recall correctly.

      Delete
    3. Revelations - there's a Gene link I could make there!

      Delete