Wednesday 1 November 2023

Turning Japanese

Duolingo is a mighty popular app. On the Google Play Store it has been downloaded over 100 million times. In the Apple realm, it is the #2 app in their Education category. Everyone wants to learn a new language, it seems, (and / or please a green owl) and I am no exception.

Background: I studied French at school. Although I stopped that 37 years ago, I got a AA at O-level, was pretty good at it, and have retained enough to make trips to France comfortable. I also studied Russian at school, which was harder, and I haven't retained much of that - I can ask "Where is Red Square?" but I probably wouldn't understand the answer. Anyway, the bottom line is that I haven't tried to learn a language since the mid Eighties.

So to Duolingo, where I am trying to learn Japanese. God, it's hard. Partly it's because there seem to be three character sets - Hiragana (over 100 characters or character combinations), Katakana (another 100+) and Kanji (45 characters so far and apparently more to come in later lessons). It all makes Russian's 33-letter alphabet seem a bit feeble.

Then there's getting your head around word order. To say I'm going to have coffee with my brother next week you essentially say Next week my brother with coffee going to have I am... which takes some getting used to. At least this ordering seems pretty consistent, so far at least.

Then there's the accent. Learning languages as a kid, I adopted an appropriate accent very easily. As a middle-aged fossil in the making, who hasn't used this part of his brain for a long time, any time I try to say anything in any language other than French or Russian, I end up sounding like I am deliberately trying to do a comedy foreign stereotype. And I'm not, I promise.

Age is a factor in other ways too. When you're sixteen, your brain is a lightning rod, ready to take input and turn it into neural connections as easy as pie. The teen brain is a sponge, basically, and it can absorb a hell of a lot of water. When you're fossilising, things are a bit different. The brain can still absorb but it's more like a damp tea towel than a sponge. Those neural connections have to be hammered into place. Learning just isn't as easy as it used to be.

I'm trying though, I really am. I'm 21 weeks into a daily Duolingo streak, and I can now say more in Japanese than I can remember in Russian. Whether anybody would understand me in downtown Tokyo remains to be seen, and whether I'll ever get to go back to Japan to try a few phrases is equally unknown. Let's hope so though, that I get to go back at least - Tokyo remains the most other-wordly place I've ever been.

So, here's some Japanese music. Homecomings are an indie-ish four-piece that met and formed at university in Kyoto. This song's title translates as Hurts. I've no idea what it's about (I haven't got to the Duolingo unit on deciphering indie lyrics yet) but the video has helpful subtitles that might ... oh, they're in Japanese...

And as the title of this post suggests, I did consider writing about The Vapors for the 800th time. But instead, here's Kirsten Dunst's cover of their most famous song. Yes, really.

Tip the authorWhat did you make of that? To be fair, Akihabara Majokko Princess was more of a video art installation from director McG than a serious foray into 80s power-pop from Kirsten. Whatever, the video was included in the 2009 "Pop Life" exhibition at the Tate Modern. Akihabara, by the way, is a frankly dizzying shopping district in Tokyo, particularly heavy on electronics and tech... although when I was there I bought a tiny paper diary. Make of that what you will.

11 comments:

  1. The Man Of Cheese1 November 2023 at 17:56

    I can still just about say that I love football in Russian,as well as "I don't understand"-not brilliant for a years work!
    I too still love speaking French in my average way, I think our having a great teacher in Mr Powell instilled that into us for life. Makes you realise how important a good teacher really can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, "I don't understand" was very handy in Russian class. You're right about Mr Powell, a great teacher and a decent man too. Come to think of it, I think my half-decent French accent is entirely down to him.

      Delete
  2. My friend Victoria sends me Russian songs from her playlists. She's fluent and tells me what they all mean.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely language, if a little tricky to get your head around.

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of you, both for learning Japanese now and for having studied Russian at school. Quite something! I did French, German and Latin at school but forgot so much of the latter two (and gave up Latin before 'O' Level time) - although some years ago I started doing French evening classes in a bid to exercise and re-train my brain as much as anything else. Really enjoyed it but had to stop for various reasons - think it might be something to start up again in future - but I liked the real life aspect of it, being with a small group in the flesh, rather than studying at home. You're so right about the difference in our ability to learn as we age. Our capacity when we're young is enormous and yet we don't even realise it (oh how much time I wasted when I could have had a little more "application"!) Anyway I think it's brilliant that you're doing this - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 有り難う御座います

      Delete
    2. Which is pronounced "arigataugozaimasu" ... and means thank you!

      Delete
    3. Although you don't really enunciate the trailing -u, if Duolingo is to be believed.

      Delete
    4. Also, latin is pretty awe-inspiring too. I also did a few weeks of Esperanto at school, but mainly because I fancied the student teacher we had over from France who took the class too - she was lovely ;)

      Delete
    5. Haha, so did that help or hinder your command of Esperanto?!

      Delete
    6. Helped! Wanted to impress her!

      Delete