Wednesday 25 October 2023

Anything is hard to find, except self-loathing

I've been writing this post in my head for nearly two weeks now, trying to wrangle what I want to say into some form of words that someone (anyone!) would want to read. However, I've failed repeatedly, to the extent that this is only going to materialise if I start typing ... so here goes. Don't worry, I'll embed some embarrassingly predictable songs along the way - I know that's all you're really here for, after all.

In part, this is inspired by Rol's exceptional Self-Help For Cynics blog series. But mostly it comes about following a conversation one Sunday evening that took an unexpected turn. I'm not going into details here, suffice to say that the person I was talking to revealed that they had done something unwise, one result of which was a very low mood and even a degree of self-loathing. I sympathised of course, because no-one wants someone they care about feeling that way. But I empathised too. After all, anyone can make a mistake...

It's not necessarily the size of the mistake that's the issue, of course, or even the conventional consequences, although they can both be factors. No, the pertinent issue, both in this case and in my own past, is the nature of the decision or action. Specifically, these are mistakes, for want of a better word, that make you question your own sense of self - who you think you are, at the most fundamental level. And that line of questioning is, from my experience, a shortcut to depression and self-loathing. Go directly to jail. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect £200.

One counter argument might be that this level of self-awareness, of considered introspection, must be a positive thing, along the lines of "Well, you might feel bad for doing X but the fact that you're questioning why you did it, can't even believe you did it, shows what a well-rounded, reflective character you are, making personal progress that should offset any regret or self-loathing." And maybe that's true, to a degree and in retrospect, but try telling someone that when they are in the midst of self-directed angst. Because I'm not just talking about plain old regret here:

We're talking about things that make you question who you really are, at the most basic level. After this conversation, I reflected that in my adult life, there have been four things I have done that made me question my very sense of self in this way, actions that I couldn't reconcile with who I thought I was. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint: there have been many, many other mistakes, misdeeds and generally awful / horrible / reprehensible behaviour. There have been plenty of things I'm not proud of, in other words: people I've treated very poorly, bad decisions I've made that not even hindsdight can justify, all of that. But all those things I can square up in my head with who I think I am. In all but those four cases, I can see how I got to where I did, why I did what I did, and why I reacted (or didn't ) to it afterwards. But those other instances, those four things... There's a disorientating effect to not understanding yourself, to not recognising actions as something you'd do. It can be horrible, truly. And if, like me, you have a simmering baseline level of self-loathing at the best of times, it can plough you into a very dark place.

There are two options then, of course: you either get over it or you don't. And if that sounds like I'm over-simplifying, I'm sorry, because that's not my intention. Getting over it doesn't mean forgetting it, or leaving it behind, after all. As I have tried to show, there is a difference between doing something you're "not proud of" and something that actually causes you active personal, inward, private shame. When you do something that leaves you sorrowfully thinking "I can't believe I did that", then getting over it means coming to terms with the fact that you did. In my experience, this is impossible to do completely, to the extent that "getting over it" actually just means accepting what happened, accepting yourself and finding a way to carry on being the revised edition of yourself. At first, you think about it every waking moment, then a few times a day, then a few days a week... Eventually you can go so long without thinking about it that it's almost like it never happened, and you really are who you thought you were. But only almost. For whilst time is a great healer, when something happens that prompts a recollection of your secret personal shame, it's a fresh wound, almost as deep as the original cut.

I have been trying my whole life to accept myself. I'm starting to think that perhaps I won't ever succeed. I hope you have better luck, and I hope those actions, inactions and choices that give you cause to question your self-image are few and very far between. Be well.

Tip the author

8 comments:

  1. Oh Martin, a difficult post for you to write but you've expressed things so well and with such sharp insight. What can I say except that I think many of us share some of those feelings, understand the shame of things we've done or not done and can't always square them with ourselves or our self-image. But you have to move on, you just have to - get over it or don't get over it, as you say. The motives are the important thing too, I think. Did you ever do, or not do, something to absolutely deliberately hurt or damage someone/something? I doubt it. You're just another flawed and fallible human as are we all. Remind yourself of all the zillions of positive motives and actions too. I know it's not that simple and it takes work... well, Rol's excellent series has some brilliant strategies that I think everyone could do with trying to help to retrain and redirect those negative thoughts.
    Please try to fight off those feelings of self-loathing as much as you can; remember you're one of the good guys. Please be kind to yourself. I hope the person you had that conversation with gets through things too. Take care, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I found this hard to write. The words just didn't present themselves to me, as they usually do, and it feels very clunky and a tad repetitious as a result. But the main points are there: if you do something that subsequently leads you to question your very sense of self, that's okay, batten down the hatches, reflect and learn, try not to beat yourself up too much, and know that time is the healer. If you're the kind of person that this kind of loathing introspection can happen to once, chances are it will happen again, so you have to find a way to deal with it, and it's not easy. I try to be a friend to myself, and I guess that's the advice I'd give anyone in a similar situation. That, and lean on your closest friends too. Having someone you trust to confide in is invaluable, in my experience.

      Delete
  2. This feels like a major piece of writing, in terms of what it took to write it. Making mistakes is human- even the massive ones that make us question who we are, and I'm sure that's a universal thing, just part of who we are. Don't punish yourself too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Adam. I'm trying not to, and remind myself that one bad thing (or four) doesn't define me. Onwards!

      Delete
  3. The good always outweighs the bad but it doesn't always feel like that
    Hope you found this post cathartic Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Man Of Cheese27 October 2023 at 18:40

    Wise words, I think we all have the capacity to do the most ridiculous things at times, which in the cold(and sober) light of day seem so ridiculous as to be a dream/nightmare.
    As you say,what is important is to have someone to confide in and be a support,that makes everything so much better.

    ReplyDelete