Tuesday 12 September 2023

Not from where I'm standing

I got to see some art by The Connor Brothers recently. Their impressive back-story involving an escape by twin brothers from a particularly luddite American cult is sadly a work of fiction; rather, they are former art dealers turned print makers Mike Snelle and James Golding, and are perhaps best known for adding subversive or post-modern captions to pulp fiction book covers - you know, this kind of thing:

I loved every print I saw like this, and took loads of pictures, going back to some prints time and again. And I got to thinking - where had I seen this before? Not just something like it, but a piece of art in this exact style, and by The Connor Brothers? And then it came to me.

Not From Where I'm Standing is a compilation of 20 Bond film themes covered by current and former members of Cinerama and The Wedding Present. I wrote more about it back in 2020, when it was released. Anyway, here's a song from it; I need no other excuse for a bit of Such Small Hands.

Tip the author

8 comments:

  1. Sounds really good, will we be able to see some more of the photos? I love those old pulp fiction covers - even more so with unlikely updated titles (recently bought a couple of these postcards: https://www.redbubble.com/i/poster/Fuck-That-Red-Thing-by-vintage-covers/36528030.E40HW although I'm not sure who I'm going to send them to!)
    Enjoyed the song too.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I like that postcard. I may post some more photos soon, although I'm wary that my art/photography posts on here are generally spectacularly unpopular (and that's in the context of the whole blog, which is also unpopular in general). So we'll see. I do particularly like this one though (not my photograph).

      Delete
    2. Haha, yes - I like that one you linked to as well. Your art and photograpy posts are amongst my favourites. If you feel like posting some more, please do; this reader will be well chuffed!

      Delete
  2. Love that linked photo,sums it up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete