Friday 19 May 2023

Andy Rourke, RIP

The briefest of posts because I am away from the laptop, and there are only so many words I can type on my phone before losing the will. But I have just heard this morning, via an Instagram post from Johnny Marr, that Andy Rourke has died. He was only 59, and had been struggling with pancreatic cancer for some time.

This is not even his greatest bass line but it is probably the best known, and a wonderful live performance too. 

Rest in peace, Andy Rourke - one indispensable quarter of a band that changed my life, and countless others.

BBC obituary

6 comments:

  1. What a marvellous performance, I remember it well. In fact I probably still have my original recording of it on a VHS tape somewhere in this building. An awfully sad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sad and a shock, despite his illness.

      Delete
  2. The Man Of Cheese21 May 2023 at 12:14

    Dreadful news,another childhood hero gone too soon. The Smiths were,and remain,unrivalled. A fine legacy for Mr Rourke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough, mate, true enough. Seems to be one RIP after another, these days.

      Delete
  3. I'm still in mourning a week later

    ReplyDelete