Monday 14 November 2022

New to NA ... somehow

I went to a party on Saturday, a friend's 50th. They had a DJ, which was a nice surprise, and early in the evening he was playing mostly soul and reggae at a pretty modest volume. Later he would up the ante, playing floor-fillers specifically aimed at the age of the attendees, but early on he was playing what he liked. And it was good.

At some point he played this, and I had to go up and ask him what it was. I was surprised at the answer, not because it's atypical but because I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it before. But there you go, that's what happened. So I'm sure you'll all know and love this slice of rootsy, ska-inflected rocksteady brilliance already, but I'm still getting used to it. And on this utterly shit Monday morning, I need something good. Maybe you do too, so here's Funky Kingston by Toots & The Maytals.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a quality DJ and look at you, off out at parties. There might be a fair few if your generation are all turning 50 at around the same time. When you get to the next big landmark birthday you just want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't happening. Two years on and I still can't say (or write) the number.

    Did you ever watch Small Axe on the BBC. Loved the episode called Lovers Rock about the house parties of the late 70s. Great music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch Small Axe but now I want to.

      Delete
    2. I love this song. I second Alyson's comment about Small Axe. All of them are incredible, and Lovers Rock is just brilliant.

      Delete
  2. It's good when you get to our age and can still find yourself discovering new gems from the past. I find it happens more and more these days, and frankly, it keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, isn't it? I was genuinely excited to ask the DJ.

      Delete
  3. I love bumping into a great old tune that's new to me. It so often leads to a new door opening and a new rabbit hole to explore. So much music, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially with YouTube, which lends itself too well to rabbit-holery!

      Delete
    2. ...not to mention you and the other blogs that I follow. I've been introduced to so much good 'new' old music that I would never have known about.

      Delete
    3. It's the virtuous circle of bloggers...

      Delete
  4. Excellent tune and I didn't know it either but would have had to ask just as you did. Would love to hear this at a party. Ever fancied doing the DJ slot at a party for people with good taste?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fancied that but not sure I have the performance bravado!

      Delete
    2. I would too but I'm far too shy, I'd have to do it facing the wall. (Perhaps I should re-phrase that...)

      Delete
    3. Ha! No rephrasing necessary... ;)

      Delete
    4. Nearest I've come is prepping a three-hour playlist for a party and just letting that play itself.... not the same at all.

      Delete