Monday 20 May 2019

Sdrawkcab

I was lucky enough to experience Belgian artist Johannes Bellinkx's Reverse at the weekend, as part of an annual arts festival. And I'm not quite sure how to describe it... immersive walking tour? Performance piece, where you are the performer? Neither/both?

Maybe I should just describe how it works and you can decide for yourself. Basically it is a walking tour, of sorts, but you walk backwards, following a white line on the floor (not by looking down, but by keeping an awareness of it on the periphery of your vision). All the while, you're wearing headphones which are Bluetooth-connected at various points along the route to provide appropriate ambient noise.

Sound weird? Well, it is a bit weird, to be honest. Weird in that you quickly place utmost faith in the white line (at no point did I have the urge to look over my shoulder). Weird in that it is not easy to distinguish ambient noises filtering in from the real world with those from the headphones (most notable with conversations going on behind me by the market). Weird in that passers-by, oblivious to what you are doing, seem genuinely perplexed by the sight of someone walking backwards (one bloke filmed me on his phone, at some point). And most weird of all, how the whole experience starts to mess with your senses... or rather, how the brain tries to reinterpret the stimuli it is receiving, to make some sort of sense of them. This last point most of all, for me - after a while, I started to feel that everyone else was going backwards and that I was the only one moving conventionally.

At the end of the route, 50 minutes later, the artist himself was on hand to talk to participants. He was particularly pleased to hear of my "reversal"; apparently his original inspiration was another artist who had filmed someone walking backwards through Tokyo for nine hours and then reversed the film, to give the impression that the rest of the world was running backwards. Bellinkx's intention with Reverse was to attempt to create that sensation in a live setting. For me, it sort of worked. There's quite a moment too, when the white line the participant has been so reliant on, is suddenly removed from view - I won't say how (no spoilers), but this is just one of many sensory tricks Reverse plays on the participant. Others (like a different appreciation of gradient) are picked up in this review, if you're interested. Reverse has moved on now (next stop, Copenhagen, I think) but if you get a chance to have a go at this somewhere, sometime, you really should.

Of course, The Stone Roses famously transposed some of their songs to make others, and I was going to embed Don't Stop as an example, until I saw this. Imagine creating a song by backmasking another song, but then trying to play the new, backwards song live - playing forwards something that is the artificial backwards version of something else? Here's a clip of the band rehearsing to do just that (and a reminder of just how vital Reni was to The Roses' sound...)

6 comments:

  1. Very gnitseretni! I love your description of how it felt, how it affected your senses. I've always got a bit of a kick (only way I can think to describe it!) out of the trick your mind plays on you when you're sitting on a stationary train at a station and the one next to you moves off, and that feeling that it's yours which is moving, so I'm getting the idea of what you describe about the brain reinterpreting it. Also thinking it might be a bit like that thing I used to do as a kid (and sometimes still do) when you lie on your back looking up at the ceiling and imagine it's the floor, and what it would be like to move around that inverted room. (Everyone does that, yes?!)
    That said, I'm not really sure if I'd want to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely do this, C, should you ever get the chance! It's surreal... and yet real...

      Can't say I've done your ceiling/floor thing... but as a boy, when I heard an aeroplane flying overhead I'd look for a bird flying, and then try to convince myself that the bird was making the noise, that it had an engine.

      Delete
    2. I'll try your bird thing if you try my floor thing!

      Delete
  2. Good post- I love the backwards sounds in songs, did the Roses songs recently at mine. I love the train thing C describes too and the way it only happens by accident- you can't make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I enjoyed reading your Roses posts, btw, very well put together - proper blogging, that!

      Delete