Saturday 5 January 2019

Minding the gaps

I haven't written a Clandestine Classic for a long time. The obvious reason for this is that it inevitably gets harder to keep coming up with tracks that I think are great but are obscure enough for a proportion of readers to be unfamiliar with them. I haven't entirely given up on this theme, of course, but until my mojo returns it's unlikely we'll be seeing any new entries in the list just yet.

Lucky for us all then (okay, mainly me) that, somewhat unbelievably, this humble blog has a YouTube channel, which means I've been able to curate all the Clandestine Classics into a playlist, for your (and my) sequential listening pleasure. If nothing else, it proves a point for an old friend who once said I had parochial music tastes, but anyway... For the most part, these are exactly the song versions I blogged about as Classics, although I've replaced live performances with studio recordings, so that the playlist as a whole runs more evenly. You're welcome, but caveat emptor, it's going to take you about three hours to listen to the whole thing...

And whilst we're on the subject of videos, back in September I speculated which of the clips on the aforementioned channel would be first to 500 views. At the time, it looked like being a close-run thing. In the end, Sleeper walked it with this live rendition of Sale Of The Century, which has since zoomed ahead and now has over 2,000 views. Another live Sleeper video, their mash-up of Atomic and Love Will Tear Us Apart, has come from nowhere to sit in second place. Poor Steven Patrick languishes in third, with a live and timpani-strewn How Soon Is Now?

No comments:

Post a Comment