Tuesday 7 May 2019

Seren-gig-ity

I know that title makes me sound like Quagmire, but hear me out.

I went to see The Wedding Present on Sunday. Not once, but twice. Firstly, I went to a screening of the excellent and long-overdue documentary about the band and, more specifically, their debut album, George Best. Entitled Something Left Behind, the film was crowdfunded (including by me - my name is in the [very long] list of backers at the end of the credits) and has been doing the rounds of film festivals and special screenings. Now it seems to be following the band around on tour, allowing for the screening to be followed by a Q&A with the film's director Andrew Jezard and Mr Wedding Present himself, David Gedge.

Later the same day I squeezed into a small, sold-out venue to see Gedge and his bandmates do their excellent thing, as part of their Bizarro 30 tour.

But, to paraphrase Chris Tarrant, I don't want to write about that. You all know about The Wedding Present already. You probably all own George Best and Bizarro (with the exception of C, who has yet to be won over). In short, you don't need me to enthuse about Gedge et al - I would literally be preaching to the converted. So instead, I'm going to talk about the occasional luck of seeing a support band that bowl you over.

Now, you might remember The Flatmates from their first spin around the block, in the late Eighties. Indeed, Jez over at A History of Dubious Taste was blogging about them at the weekend. Here's what they sounded like back in the day:

Wikipedia tells us that the band split in 1989 and reconvened in 2013. As is often the case, not all the original members are back on board though. Whilst they've seemingly been through a lot of bassists, more notably absent is original vocalist Debbie Haynes... but they have recruited a remarkable frontwoman in her place, in the shape of Lisa Bouvier who is, well, there's no other way to describe her, a force of nature. A whirling, swirling, whooping force of nature. Delivering high energy vocals whilst bouncing and dancing around in a gold tinsel jacket throughout their 30 minute support set, all I can say is that the Swede must be very fit. Also quite a contrast to the rest of the band who, it must be said, look exactly like what they actually are - a bunch of middle-aged men. Still, so was most of the audience on Sunday night, so at least they were at home.

There aren't many videos of the current line-up to show you, but here's something from earlier in the tour - the current line-up's live take of Shimmer.

Anyway, The Flatmates are recording new material, and have a couple of 7-inchers you can buy. One has a Cinerama cover on the B-side, if that adds to the interest. Also, they have a Facebook page, if that's your thing. And finally, here's Lisa and the crowd from Sunday night. +100 kudos points to anyone who correctly identifies me... [Edit: points offer rescinded, you can just hover your mouse over the picture to ID me...]

P.S. Something Left Behind is really very, very good. Catch it at a screening if you can. Alternatively, the director assures us it will be out on DVD before Christmas...

P.P.S. No, Bouvier isn't a very Swedish sounding surname. In the unlikely event you should ever need to know for a pub quiz question, the singer was born Lisa Westerlund.

9 comments:

  1. The Man Of Cheese7 May 2019 at 22:05

    Another Weddoes gig-they'll class you as a groupie soon! I'm very much looking forward to seeing Something Left Behind when I am able to catch it. I had to employ my reading glasses but I have a suspicion you are the gentleman with his left arm to his face to the right of Lisa as we look at the photo. I could however be wrong as the eyes,like the rest of me nowadays,are not what they used to be.
    This time next week we'll be at another 30th anniversary gig-The Specials-very much looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't pass up on another gig, especially when it's within cycling distance. And a good guess there but no, that's not me (I'm further back, lurking in the shadows). Yes - can't wait for The Specials!

      Delete
    2. I can definitely see why you picked that bloke too: watch on left wrist, glasses, not a great deal of hair... blimey, I'm even starting to wonder if that was me! But no... and to be fair, I'm pretty unidentifiable in this picture.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if I might spot a certain other person referred to as 'The Swede' in that pic (but a bit too shadowy to make much out from here). I'm sure he mentioned somewhere round these parts that he was going to see them the same day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I could have been stood next to him and not known!

      Delete
  3. I was there - wish I'd known you were too. What a good night it was, I'd say Wedding Present were even better than last year and The Flatmates were great as well. I can just about see my silhouette in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Yes, was a cracker, start to finish. And next they return to the ancestral home of the Gedges...

      Delete
  4. The Man Of Cheese8 May 2019 at 22:29

    Well I'll go to the foot of my stairs-thought I had you there. There is another Mr P lookalike-incredible but true!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor fella, looking a bit like me - deserves our sympathy!

      Delete