Wednesday 19 December 2018

That Was The Year That Was: 2018

A Brexit stamp
This is the eighth time I've recapped a year like this (for completists, here are the others), but this time it's going to be brief - just winners, no runners-up. Why? I'm tired, and this crap doesn't write itself. Plus, you know, I'm no influencer and nobody really gives a monkeys about what I think. Yes, that makes this whole post an exercise in vanity ... but exercise is good for you, right?

Best album

I've bought very few new albums this year but, of the few I have, True Meanings by Paul Weller is worth a mention. As he has throughout his career, the Modfather has dared to do different, and it works. A classic? No. But rewarding of repeated listens? Yes.

Best song

Hi Hello by Johnny Marr, and not just because it evokes his old band. But the fact that it does is no bad thing.

Best gig

Sorry but it was Morrissey at the Royal Albert Hall. I wrote about it at the time. Been a good year for gigs.

Best book

Best I've read this year? The Knot by Mark Watson. Best I've read that was published this year? The Outsider by Stephen King. Best I've been involved with this year? The Petrified World and other tales, edited by yours truly.

Best film

I haven't been to the cinema as often as I might like but, even if I had, I think Ghost Stories would still have been my film of the year. Genuine chills and some great performances, especially from Paul Whitehouse. Jeune Femme was also noteworthy.

Best television

The most fiercely contended category. The award goes to Killing Eve, for being inventive, original, compelling and brilliantly soundtracked - a must-see! The protagonists are wonderfully played by Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer too.

Best comedy

I was lucky enough to catch Dave Gorman's new show, With Great Powerpoint Comes Great Responsibilitypoint, and it made me laugh out loud more than anything else, all year. The ticket price was worth it for the giraffe joke alone.

Best theatre

A bit of a cheat here, as it really deserves an honourable mention in the comedy category, but David Baddiel's My Family: Not The Sitcom deserves all the plaudits it gets. Funny, yes, but emotional too, and laudably honest. Can't wait for the Trolls show he's working up to tour, hopefully in 2019.

And that's it for this year. Yes, I know, that's fewer categories than in year's gone by. Sorry. Am time-poor and all out of words.

8 comments:

  1. My full admiration to you for being able to compile any kind of list at all. It's also a really nice way to remind yourself of the proper highlights of your year, which I think it's easy to forget by the time we get to these dark days of December! - I can't do lists but if I could, Latitude would be on mine.

    As for time poor, I know the feeling. Currently frazzled by deadlines but will hopefully fit in one more post before Christmas - hope you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm no influencer and nobody really gives a monkeys about what I think."

    I do. Besides, if we all followed that line of thinking, none of us would be writing this twaddle. And the world (well, mine, anyway) would be a much lonelier place as a result.

    Can't say I have much to say about any of your choices, mainly because most of them have passed me by so far (Weller & Marr should obviously get my attention at some point). Also I seem to be the only person in the western world who had major issues with Killing Eve, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Rol. And you're right about blogging and the reasons for it, of course. Interestingly, just read a piece by LondonLee over at Crying All The Way To The Chip Shop and he seems to be feeling much the same as me - nothing interesting left to say nor the urge to say it.

      Johnny Marr, definitely worth a look. I think the Weller album will polarise opinion. As for Killing Eve, for me it was such a breath of fresh air, and so different to contemporary dramas like The Bodyguard.

      Delete
  3. I should have added what Rol said too - the reason I come here is exactly that, it's because I want to read what you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C. I'll keep looking for my blogging mojo - maybe it's down the back of the sofa?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you'll find it there, along with £1.20 in loose change, a Bic biro and some Bombay Mix.

      Delete
    3. I've come up 20p (and one mojo) short on that...

      Delete
  4. Just realised I should also have mentioned Lean On Pete in the Film category and Inside No 9 Live for TV.

    ReplyDelete