Saturday 22 December 2018

Please don't be terrible

The new BBC/Netflix co-adaptation of Watership Down starts tonight at 7pm. Long-term readers of this blog (both of them) might know that Watership Down is my desert island book, so I am excited about this. But also quite nervous... because the 1978 film adaptation with John Hurt and Richard Briers is pretty perfect, and I wonder what this new version has to add. Other than lots of complaints online already about the poor CGI which, when compared to the hand-drawn watercolours backdrops of the 70s, may dazzle with detail but lacks reality.

Anyway, BBC and Netflix, please don't dump on my perfect book. Fingers crossed it's good and, at the very least, not terrible. Here's a trailer:

For comparison, here's the 1978 trailer too:

And just for laughs, because some complain that the '78 version's depiction of nature red in tooth and claw was too violent and upsetting (please, get a grip), here's Carnage Count's take on the film too:

Anyway... let's hope this new version is more El-Ahrairah than the Black Rabbit of Inlé...

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't/can't watch any rendition, I'm ashamed to say. I've cried just at the clips I've seen! Happy to have read it at a tender age on the very enthused recommendation of my primary school headmaster, I lovingly remember the big fat Puffin paperback with the beautiful painting of the rabbit's head and shoulders against a yellow-blue sky on the front cover and how it inspired me hugely. So I'll just stick to how that made me feel.
    That said, I hope for your sake that it isn't terrible either!
    Sending Christmas wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am pleased to say I thought it was excellent. You should iPlayer it, C, you really should.

      And a very merry Christmas to you too, and best wishes for the new year.

      Delete