Tuesday 16 January 2018

Ode to her family

Dolores O'Riordan

Since Christmas, I'd been mulling over a new blog series. Well, I say that like I'd had an original idea, but it was more "inspired by" than original, as they say these days. Basically, inspired by Rol's excellent Records I Bought Because I Fancied The Singer series, I was mulling over something I had given the working title of "Records By Women Of Nineties Indie That I Fancied". I know, snappy, eh?

As you can see, this idea hadn't made it past the mulling stage, partly because the draft text in my head seemed crass, partly because I thought it might embarrass me even more than the normal nonsense I write, and mostly because I had stalled at seven women and really wanted to do a top ten run-down, TOTP-style (or, indeed, Rol-style).

And then yesterday, one of those Women Of Nineties Indie That I Fancied died suddenly and unexpectedly, at the ridiculous age of 46, and I'm not mulling any more.

I saw The Cranberries live once, 30th July 1995, in the enormity of the Milton Keynes Bowl, where they were supporting R.E.M. on their Monster tour. It was quite a line-up that day, with Sleeper and Radiohead also on the bill. The Cranberries were at the height of their popularity then, with the excellent resource Setlist.fm suggesting they played 118 gigs that year. They played nine songs that day, including Linger, I Can't Be With You, Zombie and Dreams. And, with no disrespect to the rest of the band, it was Dolores who held the audience captive that afternoon, even those who were far, far back in the crowd, like me, sweltering (suncream-less) on the hottest day of the year.

I know that there are some for whom Dolores's distinctive vocal style grated, but not me. I loved it, and still do. And I know there were some, back in those days before the Good Friday Agreement, who felt the lyrics to Zombie were, at best, naïve and, at worst, well, a lot worse. But there was a lot of love for that song and those lyrics on social media last night.

There's no cause of death given in any of the press coverage yet. Gigs last year were cancelled due to back problems, which some might question now. Others will mutter darkly and without substantiation about her recent bipolar diagnosis, putting two and two together in a desperate attempt to make five. A pox on those others, frankly. All that matters is that a talented individual, whose musical gifts brought joy and happiness to countless thousands around the world, has gone, tragically early and, worse still, leaves three children behind.

I don't do R.I.P. obits often but, to paraphrase, everybody else is doing it, so why can't I? Rest easy, Dolores.

14 comments:

  1. To nick the sentiment Richard Herring voiced following the totally unexpected and extremely premature death of Sean Hughes (another Irish entertainer I loved) it's a real punch to the soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I never got into the Cranberries that much, but I always liked the stuff I heard from a distance.

    The problem with enforcing a rule of ten is that if you falter at seven... or find yourself running to 12, you've self-imposed a rule that makes you unhappy. Which is why I've subtly dropped any such rules from my own blog. Why but barriers in your own way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Rol, very true. Don't think I'll be taking RBWONITIF forward any time soon though.

      Delete
  3. A lovely tribute, Martin. I can just imagine how Dolores captivated the audience live. I was reminded of that today when we dug out some old TV footage we'd kept of the Cranberries giving a great performance of Zombie on the Danny Baker Show (remember that?!) from 1994 (doesn't seem to have made it to youtube). It was superb and so powerful, and I couldn't take my eyes off her. And her voice, so idiosyncratic. She was a bit of a girl-crush for me to be honest, so I totally get your RBWONITIF!

    Although it's always a bit saddening, I don't usually feel very emotionally moved by the deaths of well-known people, perhaps they often seem just too distant - but there have been a few like Bowie and George Harrison which just have touch me deep down. Dolores is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. Yes, it was hard to take your eyes off her as a performer, especially in those early years. And yes, I do remember the Danny Baker Show!

      I think part of what makes this so shocking is her age...46?!

      Delete
  4. I was about to type a lovely tribute Martin but I see C has beaten me to it

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Man of Cheese19 January 2018 at 23:00

    Nicely done Martin. I remember my favourite Cranberries track-I can't be with you-belting out round the Milton Keynes Bowl as we developed sunstroke.
    I'm sure it's getting old but it seems like all our childhood heroes are disappointing fast,not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall eating 11 Calippos that day, it was so hot.

      And yes, sadly it does, doesn't it? Not good at all.

      Delete
  6. The Man of Cheese19 January 2018 at 23:17

    Or even disappearing fast....which in itself is disappointing. Bloody phone!

    ReplyDelete