Tuesday 19 September 2017

Spent the day in... the car

With three lots of roadworks and an RTC to contend with, getting out of the village to go to work this morning was like... well, it was like Schneider trying to get to the London Road...

On the plus side, this meant I was still in the car for the first play of Spent The Day In Bed. For me, the jury is undecided. I mean, it's Moz, so I'll buy it regardless. My first instinct is that this isn't classic Morrissey... but it's better than no Morrissey.

4 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for the haters to come out of the woodwork: at least you're not in their camp. For me, the single was a breath of fresh air. It's Moz doing a fun pop song again. It's been a long while since he's given us anything so radio friendly, yet he's sneakily packed Mozzy attitude into virtually every line. I love the self-deprecating line about how he'd rather not be spending the day in bed with himself since he's not the best company (I can't remember it exactly and I've only heard it the once). I was a little worried he'd done an Elbow in the first few seconds and abandoned guitars altogether, but overall I think this bodes well.

    Others will, of course, disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm inclined to agree, Rol, plus I think it's a grower. Also a throwback, I hope, to when the more fun tracks were picked as singles, but were unrepresentative of the parent album (I'm thinking, You're The One For Me Fatty...)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this Martin - I hadn't heard it before. I love it. I love it musically and I love it lyrically....
    I've started rationing my news-reading/watching too - once I start feeling that awful sense of hopelessness about the world I know it's not healthy - so it resonates. Oh and I love my bed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, isn't it? And yes, it's easy to get consumed by the news at the moment. Far, far better for us all to spend the day in bed, I reckon.

      Delete