Friday 5 February 2016

London loves...

I will be changing jobs soon, not just role but employer. I've been in my current job for nearly eleven years, so I've got lots of sorting out to do before I go, both physical (going through shelves, files and drawers to apportion everything into either a "pass on", "take with" or "bin" pile) and virtual (my C drive and network share). It's taking an age - who knew eleven years of career stasis would entail the accumulation of so much stuff? But I am finding one or two interesting things - here's an example.

During the 2012 Olympics, the BBC's excellent online coverage was plastered with graphics making London look beautiful. Of course they were all overlaid with captions and logos, which spoiled the effect somewhat. However, I was sufficiently taken with the pictures to collate every one I could find, and cobble them together into a single text-less, logo-less version. Now I don't have Photoshop, and if you look carefully (and know what you're looking for) maybe you can see the joins. But anyway, this is the result.

London, idealised and stylised

I quite like it. I know London is not like that, outside of dramas like Spooks and Hotel Babylon. I know that the buildings don't all radiate reflected sunlight like that, and I know the landmarks seem disproportionate and preternaturally close together (the Beeb's doing, not mine). I know, I know, I know. It's just an idea of London, idealised and stylised, but I like it, and thought you might too.

Besides, now I've blogged it, I could move the file from the metaphorical "take with" pile to the "bin" pile. Though you'll have noticed I said could there, rather than can or will.

Footnote: +1 kudos point is on offer for identifying the song that gives this post its title.

No comments:

Post a Comment